The Camp Elim camp board is responsible for hiring both paid staff members and volunteer staff members.
Anyone interested in applying for work at Camp Elim must first send a staff application form to Camp Elim. The camp board will then process the application form and decide whether or not to hire the individual.
All persons applying to be part of the Summer Camp Staff must complete a police backgound check. If any applicant has a criminal record that includes incidents with children will NOT be considered for hiring. Volunteers must complete a police background check upon the request of the Director/Manager.
- Staff are interviewed before they are considered to be hired.
- All Summer Camp staff are required to attend the staff orientation that takes place prior to the start of the Summer Camp program. During orientation staff are trained on numerous things, including:
- Training on all activities and games that happen at camp (ie: archery, canoeing, kayaking, etc).
- Basic First Aid.
- Emergency situations (ie: fire, missing camper, etc).
- Discipline situations.
- What to do if a camper confides in a staff member that he/she has been abused.
- It is preferred that the Director(s) be at least 21 years of age and have a significant amount of experience in leadership and counseling.
- Both the Director(s) and Lifeguard are required to have their CPR C and First Aid Certificates. The Lifeguard must have all neccessary credentials (ie: current NLS, CPR C, Aquatic Emergency Care, etc) and be at least 18 years of age.
- Counselors must be at least 18 years of age and have completed Highschool. Counselors have usually been CIT's before and/or have been counselors before.
- CIT's (Counselors in Training) must have completed grade 10. These people are training to become counselors.
- The staff member in charge of Watersports (Director or Manager) must have a Boater's Liscence in order to drive the motorboat.
- Head Cooks must have completed the "Safe Food Handling" course and hold the neccessary certificate.