The Year-Round Manager maintains the camp and is in charge of the off-season rentals.
The duties of the Year-Round Manager are:
- Maintenance of the camp buildings, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, lawn mower, irrigation pumps, etc. This involves cleaning of the facility to make it fit for camp session and rentals when not used for camps; irrigating and cutting the grass, pruning trees, etc.
- Scheduling and overseeing the rental program; family and group reunions, retreats, school outdoor ed days, etc. We are trying to expand and develop our rental program particularly the latter, with nature and environmental hikes, etc. We have a small nature museum in the basement of the house.
- Purchasing agent for food and supplies for the camp program. This involves picking up the supplies in Swift Current and taking them to the camp.
- Running the motorboat and assisting with the camp water sports during camp sessions, assisting with an overnite sleepout.
- The skills required for the Year-Round Manager are fairly broad: handiman skills in carpentry and mechanics, business acumen in overseeing the rental program. Good public relations is an absolute essential. Love for kids and people certainly helps. The duties in for school rentals can involve program development and teaching skills.
- Pay for the Year-Round Manager is based on voluntary service considerations with about half time salary at $1400/month and free lodging in a 4 bedroom house at the camp which we value at $800/month (utilities included and you only pay your long distance telephone calls).
- There must be liason between Summer Camp Director and Year-Round Manager and there can be some overlap in duties.
- We try to tailor the duties to the people. For example, if you are interested and capable of being a Summer Camp Director and mixing it with some of the Year-Round Manager's duties, we could possibly work out something and hire a student to pickup some of the maintenance duties during the summer. Last year we had an Assistant Director which reduced the Year-Round Manager's load somewhat.
- Depending on qualifications and skills, both the Year-Round Manager position and the Summer Camp Director could be filled by a couple.